Our vision, MISSION, Goals, objectives, Strategies & Tactics
- Vision: A's & Aces' vision is to build a healthier, safer, more successful future for New Orleans and our children through improved literacy, positive behavior, citizenship, and the enjoyment of tennis for life.
- Mission: A’s & Aces mission is to provide academic assistance, life skills and tennis to New Orleans public school children.
- Goals: Our organizational goals are to better prepare students to succeed academically, physically and socially/emotionally in school and for a lifetime beyond, and to narrow the “opportunity gap” as a means to help close the “achievement gap” that deters underserved children from surpassing the economic station of their parents.
- Objectives: To achieve our overall goal, we seek to increase:
- academic attainments with a focus on literacy,
- physical literacy and tennis skills to counter obesity, and
- essential life skills and behavior to mitigate violence, citizenship and the "social capital" of our children.
- Strategies: Tennis is a critical component of A's & Aces' tri-fold mission. Actually, it is the hook that draws kids to get involved and stay committed. "Sports-Based Youth Development" is recognized globally as an unparalleled way to engage underserved, disadvantaged, and minority populations. While character developing life-skills and academic support are critical to having successful, productive lives, tennis can also provide an opportunity to build social, academic and career networks, and to participate in a fun, social, lifelong, global, non-contact, low-impact, co-ed, team and individual sport. Ultimately, this can provide incredible benefits to participants - and for society.
Our programming is based on the following principles:
- holistic, 'whole child' approach: high quality services that provide children with the necessary tools to succeed in school and beyond
- evidence based curricula that foster a love of learning and continued participation
- activities that use three interrelated features (academic curricula, tennis, and life skills activities) that thematically link the classroom and court activities
- caring, professional staff: trained coaches and teachers, serving as role models, deliver quality lessons and activities
- low teacher-student ratio: volunteer help decreases ratio and allows for individualized attention
- Tactics: A primary tactic is to build both programmatic and fiscal sustainability by building and operating a Hub Tennis & Learning Center.
- Additionally, the Center will be a "home" for A's & Aces that inherently promotes fiscal sustainability and enables and enabling a nonprofit hybrid revenue generating model. A's & Aces first started diversifying its funding model beyond the pure charity model (grants and donations only) by generating income earned as a program provider for schools and NORDC. We now plan to expand the implementation of this "hybrid" model by building a “home” facility where A’s & Aces can capitalize on the resulting opportunities and use additional reliable earned-income components to build sustainability.
- Several established national junior tennis and learning nonprofits have successfully demonstrated this model. More